Program Officer at the Reagan Ranch
POSITION: Program Officer
REPORTS TO: Director of the Reagan Ranch
LOCATION: The Reagan Ranch Center, Santa Barbara, California
MISSION: Young America’s Foundation is committed to ensuring that increasing numbers of young Americans understand and are inspired by the ideas of individual freedom, a strong national defense, free enterprise, and traditional values.
JOB SUMMARY: The ideal candidate will possess a well-founded knowledge of Conservative ideas and the Conservative Movement; a strong commitment to identifying, activating, and inspiring student leaders; and a commitment to preserving and sharing the legacy of Ronald Reagan. The program officer will work in close collaboration with team members at the Reagan Ranch Center in Santa Barbara, California, as well as those at Young America’s Foundation’s National Headquarters in Reston, Virginia to plan and execute student conferences and programs at the Reagan Ranch. The program officer will stay in close communication with students nationwide, with a particular emphasis on West Coast students, regarding opportunities for involvement at Young America’s Foundation and activism resources for use on their campuses. The applicant must be willing to travel. The program officer will work with the national team to encourage students to start YAF chapters, mentor California chapters, and encourage activism. The Program Officer will conduct onsite coordination of select campus lectures.
The ideal candidate will have had previous involvement in Young America’s Foundation and/or YAF programs and experience running a club on campus as well as organizing on campus events and lectures. In addition, the candidate will also have experience working in an office environment either through an internship or other position. Other important qualifications include: team-player, ability to manage multiple projects, able to take direction and at the same time work independently. Applicant must have excellent oral, written, and organizational skills. Outstanding copy-editing skills are a plus. A car is required.
- Recruit the best and brightest students in the Conservative Movement to become involved at Young America’s Foundation student conferences, local programs, and the Reagan Ranch Center internship program.
- Organize event details as necessary (line up vendors and rentals, create staff timeline, handle speaker & student transportation, etc.).
- •Reach out to regional conservative groups, both in communities and schools.
- Maintain and update database of student leaders and ensure information is communicated to national staff.
- Utilize new and traditional outreach methods, including new media, to recruit students to Foundation programs. Work with national social media team to maintain and grow the Reagan Ranch Facebook page and Twitter account.
- Visit campuses to meet with conservative student leaders and recruit for programs.
- Work with Foundation team members at headquarters and the National Journalism Center on joint programs.
- Stay informed of current trends in the Conservative Movement as related to conservative activism.
- Write about select Foundation programs for the website and publications.
- Committed to and enthusiastic about Young America’s Foundation’s mission and programs.
- Energetic and passionate about student activism.
- Self-motivated, organized, and flexible.
- Ability to work independently.
- Willingness to comply with YAF policies, procedures and practices.
- Ability to work as a collaborative, constructive team member.
- This job description is representative of the expectations of the position described.
Additional duties, reporting relationships, and/or position criteria may be assigned. YAF reserves the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description does not in any way alter the “at-will” employment relationship.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION (incomplete applications will not be considered). Please submit resume, references, and a cover letter to: