Program Assistant, National Journalism Center
Location: 11480 Commerce Park Drive, Reston, Virginia
The National Journalism Center (NJC), a project of Young America’s Foundation, is hiring a program assistant to report to the director of the National Journalism Center.
This person must be passionate about NJC and Young America’s Foundation’s mission as well as organized, motivated, and driven. The program assistant will be actively involved in recruiting, retaining, and training young conservatives who are aspiring to be journalists. He or she will assist the director with planning student curriculum, scheduling speakers, organizing NJC-related events and activities, working with NJC alumni, and other tasks as needed.
This position is based out of Young America’s Foundation’s National Headquarters in Reston, Virginia.
- Update online internship postings to recruit students
- Attend job fairs to find high quality applicants
- Review incoming student applications
- Assist with interviews and student selections
- Assist with program curriculum
- Assist with scheduling speakers
- Draft monthly reports on NJC’s activities
- Track intern clips/publications
- Update/manage communication with alumni
- Help brainstorm and plan networking events
- Other office duties as assigned
- Self-motivated, organized, and flexible
- Ability to work independently and multitask
- Ability to work as a collaborative, constructive team member
- Positive attitude
- Committed to and enthusiastic about Young America’s Foundation’s mission and programs
- Willingness to comply with YAF policies, procedures, and practices
- Previous experience with NJC and/or Young America’s Foundation’s student programs is preferred (but not required)
- Experience in journalism, event planning, and/or working with students
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) and ability to navigate a database
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Multimedia and social media experience is a plus
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Application: (incomplete applications will not be considered):
Please submit resume, references, all salary history, and a cover letter with subject “program assistant”: Elizabeth Donatelli, Director of National Journalism Center, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The National Journalism Center:
Since 1977, the National Journalism Center has trained aspiring journalists in the values of responsible, accurate, and truth-seeking journalism. NJC is a project of Young America’s Foundation.
This job description is representative of the expectation of the position described. Additional duties, reporting relationships, and/or position criteria may be assigned. YAF reserves the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description does not in any way alter the “at-will” employment relationship.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only complete and direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.