New Guard Assistant Editor
Position: New Guard Assistant Editor
Location: Young America’s Foundation’s National Headquarters / Reston, Virginia
Mission: Young America’s Foundation is committed to ensuring that increasing numbers of young Americans understand and are inspired by the ideas of individual freedom, a strong national defense, free enterprise, and traditional values.
Reports To: Vice President of Student Programs
Job Summary: Young America’s Foundation has an immediate opening for an assistant editor for Young America’s Foundation’s online publication, the New Guard. The assistant editor will work with the Foundation’s leadership to report on attacks on free expression in K-12 and higher education as well as other key YAF findings and programs.
The ideal candidate will work closely with the president, vice president, and the social media team to cultivate contacts, follow up on leads, and publish daily stories to build the New Guard into the #1 destination for campus news. The assistant editor will review tips submitted through the Foundation’s Campus Bias Tip Line and follow up on possible leads.
The assistant editor will also work with YAF’s program and public relations team to cultivate student contacts around the country to provide tips on breaking stories on campus.
- Publish daily stories exposing bias and attacks on free speech in education.
- Grow the reach of the New Guard and the Campus Bias Tip Line
- Post stories on the New Guard and update the Campus Bias Tip Line action page on YAF.org
- Write informative and timely emails for Foundation students, allies, and alumni which report on Foundation activities
- Assist with researching and preparing surveys and reports for the media, including op-eds and press releases
- Develop and utilize YAF-related stories to drive traffic to YAF.org and the New Guard
- Work with YAF’s social media team to build the Foundation’s social media following
- Train and advise students on how to promote their Foundation-related events on their campuses and generate media interest in their clubs’ activities
- Staying informed of current public relations trends in the Conservative Movement and the greater business community
- Assist with in-person Foundation programs, both on campus and at conferences, meeting with students and cultivating contacts
- Interact with YAF students, friends, alumni, and supporters at all Foundation-related programs and events
The candidate will have a strong interest in promoting conservative ideas to young people. The ideal person will have previous involvement in Young America’s Foundation programs and/or marketing experience with promoting an organization and events to the media.
Other qualifications: team-player, ability to manage multiple projects, able to take direction but also work independently. Applicant must have excellent oral, written, and organizational and copyediting skills. A car is strongly recommended.
Please note, remote work is not an option.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in a field related to journalism, communications, and/or marketing
- Understanding of how to investigate/research underreported stories on America’s campuses
- Newswriting experience and familiarity with writing in the AP style
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop and Premier a plus
- Experience in designing graphics for social media
- Knowledge of the WordPress blogging platform and experience managing an online publishing workflow
- Familiarity with media monitoring tools.
This job description is representative of the expectations of the position described. Additional duties, reporting relationships, and/or position criteria may be assigned. YAF reserves the right to revise this job description at any time.
Salary will be based on experience and previous salary history.
E-mail cover letter, resume outlining the requirements, professional references, and salary history to:
Patrick Coyle, Vice President
Young America’s Foundation
*Incomplete applications (i.e. those suggesting references upon request) will not be considered.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only complete and direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.