EMPLOYER: Young America’s Foundation
POSITION: Grant Writer
LOCATION: Reston, Virginia
MISSION: Young America’s Foundation is committed to ensuring that increasing numbers of young Americans understand and are inspired by the ideas of individual freedom, a strong national defense, free enterprise, and traditional values.
JOB SUMMARY: The grant writer is a member of the Young America’s Foundation’s development team which includes staff at the Foundation’s national headquarters in Reston, Virginia, and at the Foundation’s Reagan Ranch Center in Santa Barbara, California. Young America’s Foundation has raised more than $200 million in the last decade, and we expect this staff member to add to this momentum. The grant writer will report to the director of development but operates under the Foundation’s overall development team led by the president.
The grant writer will play a key role in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major gifts, particularly from private and/or family foundations—ensuring Young America’s Foundation reaches our full development potential.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The grant writer will receive training from the Institute for Charitable Giving programs and by the director of development to perform the following duties:
- Manage a portfolio of primary prospects in all aspects of the gift cycle
- Write compelling, succinct, and persuasive letters of inquiry, grant proposals, and reports using original language and some already drafted text
- Initiate contact with current and potential major gift private foundations and family foundations
- Develop appropriate cultivation strategies (visits, correspondence, event participation, etc.)
- Meet all deadlines and manage all reporting guidelines and schedules
- Submit all appropriate materials in a timely and complete manner to foundations
- Provide high level of quality stewardship after the gift
- Report the status and progress of an assigned list of foundations
- Ensure that a comprehensive and informative visit report is timely filed for all donor contacts
- Assistance in other writing projects and editing as needed by the development team
- Work with the overall development team to ensure all supporter events reach the maximum financial potential
- Provide other members of the Foundation development team with support, including written materials, proposal templates, and other reports when possible
- Excellent writing skills
- Personable and cheerful attitude; willingness to learn and work hard
- Professional fundraising experience in a sophisticated organization with a reputation for quality and excellence is preferred but not required
- Experience with InDesign a plus but not necessary
- Strong ability to manage tight deadlines and a high degree of productivity
- Self-initiative and confidence in working independently as well as within a team
- Experience with developing and maintaining productive relationships with donors
- Willingness to embrace the Institute for Charitable Giving system of “moves management” and donor-centered, relationship-building fundraising
- Ability to effectively gain the respect and support of various constituencies, including staff, donors, and members of the board
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Committed to and enthusiastic about Young America’s Foundation’s mission and
- Self-motivated, resourceful, creative, and flexible
- Ability to create excitement and energy around the Young America’s Foundation’s programs and encourage others to support the organization
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of donors in order to develop donor- centered relationships between the donor and the Foundation
- Persuasive, persistent, and determined in the pursuit of the organization’s
- fundraising goals
- Committed to ongoing education and training in the development field
- Must be willing to travel 33% of time
- Good listener
- Preference given to candidates with history of activity in Young America’s Foundation’s programs
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file:
- Cover letter detailing how your experience and passion for Young America’s Foundation’s mission make you a strong candidate for the role
- Complete salary history
- Writing sample
- List of 3-5 references
PDF applications should be submitted directly to Jessica Jensen, vice president, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: grant writer position.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only complete and direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.