Location: Reston, Virginia
Young America’s Foundation is the leading young conservative organization, introducing high school and college students to the Conservative Movement. As the principal outreach organization of the Conservative Movement, YAF leverages its robust campus lecture program and essential conferences to inspire thousands of students, annually, with the ideas of individual freedom, a strong national defense, free enterprise, and traditional values. YAF also preserves and protects Ronald Reagan’s ranch home, Rancho del Cielo, in Santa Barbara, California.
The General Counsel will oversee YAF’s legal efforts under the direction of YAF’s president.
The General Counsel will oversee and advise on all legal issues for the Foundation and have primary responsibility for monitoring and ensuring compliance with all relevant legal, governance, tax, and other requirements.
The General Counsel will also lead YAF’s legal efforts to protect student rights on high school and college campuses, including public record’s requests and free speech litigation.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Advising the Foundation president, senior staff, and Board of Directors on various matters, such as legal rights, and new and existing laws
- Identifying and evaluating emerging legal issues as they relate to the Foundation and offering legal expertise on the best ways to advance the Foundation’s interests
- Overseeing the research, development, and execution of an overarching litigation strategy to advance the Foundation’s mission
- Overseeing the Foundation’s legal team, including hiring of additional staff attorneys
- Overseeing the Foundation’s legal efforts to protect student rights on high school and college campuses, including public record’s requests and free speech litigation
- Examining and creating draft agreements, such as employer and vendor agreements
- Maintaining knowledge of the Foundation’s operations and legal documents and preserving corporate records
- Managing the Foundation’s legal matters and engaging and liaising with outside counsel as necessary
- Coordinating with allied attorney organizations on case partnerships and opportunities
- Preparing and presenting effective oral and written reports
- Ensuring compliance with all professional and ethical standards and requirements for staff
- Preparing and editing materials to guide the Foundation staff on legal issues, including employee manual, contracts, employment agreements, and employee relations policies as needed
- Working with the development team on issues related to planned giving
Education and Experience:
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Must have an active bar license; admission to the Virginia bar is preferred but not required
- 5+ years full-time work experience in the practice of law
- Knowledge of statutes, rules, and regulations pertaining to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations
- Strong commitment to the principles of the Conservative Movement, including traditional values, free enterprise, limited government, and a strong national defense
- Proficient understanding of organizational sensitivities and confidentiality
- Understanding of and appreciation for the role of planned giving in non-profit fundraising
- Committed to and enthusiastic about Young America’s Foundation’s mission and programs
- Willingness to be creative and explore legal opportunities to advance the Foundation’s mission while also protecting YAF’s interests
- Strong legal research and writing skills
- Commitment to life-long learning and continuing education in the legal field as it pertains to non-profit organizations
- Willingness to travel
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Ability to work as a collaborative, constructive team member
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Application ProcessQualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailed your sincere interest in this position and YAF’s mission, as well as your salary requirements
- A list of 3-5 professional references
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.