Development Assistant – Headquarters
Position: Development Assistant, Young America’s Foundation
Location: Reston, Virginia
Mission: Young America’s Foundation is committed to ensuring that increasing numbers of young Americans understand and are inspired by the ideas of individual freedom, a strong national defense, free enterprise, and traditional values.
Reports To: Deputy Director of Development
Job Summary: The development assistant is an administrative member of the Young America’s Foundation’s Development Team which includes staff at the Foundation’s National Headquarters in Reston, Virginia, and the Reagan Ranch Center in Santa Barbara.
The development assistant will work in close collaboration with the deputy director of development and vice president & chief of staff at Young America’s Foundation to assist the overall development team to achieve the fundraising goals of the organization. The development assistant will assist in donor research, drafting proposals, event coordination, managing schedules, and creating and coordinating communications with donors.
- Assist behind-the-scenes in the management of relationships with donors
- Initiate regular written letters and communications with donors
- Develop appropriate cultivation strategies in consultation with the deputy director of development (correspondence, event participation, etc.)
- Move donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation
- Prepare written reports and proposals for private foundations and individual supporters when necessary
- Maintain a proposal calendar and ensure timely delivery of written materials
- Answer phone calls from donors as necessary
- Manage administrative tasks including mailings and managing and updating donor files
- Report the status and progress of donors as needed
- Work with the overall development team to ensure supporter events reach the maximum financial potential for Young America’s Foundation
- Provide other Foundation development team with the support they will need as necessary
Specific physical demands that relate directly to the essential job duties and responsibilities include:
- Frequently moves boxes and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds for various office and special events needs
- The ability to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc., and occasionally to move safely over uneven terrain or in confined spaces
- A minimum of one year of experience in relationship building and client engagement
- Experience navigating a database, such as Salesforce
- A successful track record of personally identifying and cultivating donors
- Experience with managing tight timelines and schedules
- Understanding of and willingness to embrace the “moves management” system of donor-centered, relationship building fundraising
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, specifically report writing
- Previous involvement with YAF as a student
- Experience in or willingness to learn basic graphic design programs to create proposals and reports for donors
- Committed to and enthusiastic about Young America’s Foundation’s mission and programs
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and flexible
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of donors in order to develop donor centered relationships between the donor and the Foundation
- Committed to ongoing education and training in the development field
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent phone skills
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Acute attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize projects
- Passion, enthusiasm, focus, creativity, and a positive outlook.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, and does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
Salary will be based on experience and previous salary history.
E-mail cover letter, resume outlining the requirements, professional references, and salary history to*:
Tom Robinson, Deputy Director of Development
Young America’s Foundation
11480 Commerce Park Drive
Reston, Virginia 20191
*Incomplete applications (i.e. those suggesting references upon request) will not be considered.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only complete and direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.