Capitol Hill Outreach Director
Young America’s Foundation Capitol Hill Outreach Director
Location:Washington, D.C., and Reston, Virginia
Young America’s Foundation is seeking a key leader to serve as director of our Capitol Hill outreach efforts. The director would work primarily from YAF’s Capitol Hill Townhouse (428 3rdStreet NE) in Washington, D.C., but also spend time working from our Reston, Virginia-based national headquarters.
The 3,600 square-foot facility—located just steps from the United States Senate and House of Representatives office buildings—provides an ideal meeting location for our students, alumni, supporters, friends, and allies in Congress and the White House. Guests at this location will enjoy dinners, receptions, book signings, roundtable discussions, and other intimate gatherings and fellowship with key conservative leaders and like-minded friends.
The prime location of this property allows the Foundation to expand our reach to the thousands of young people who live and work in the District of Columbia throughout the year.
The director will manage and oversee the Foundation’s Capitol Hill outreach—recruiting interns and students to the Foundations programs.
The director will be responsible for planning and organizing programs at YAF’s Capitol Hill Townhouse which strategically engage and educate conservative interns in the Washington, D.C.-area.
The director will also engage with conservative members of Congress and their staffs as well as key leaders at other conservative organizations to ensure YAF’s activities, projects, and initiatives are shared with our allies in Congress and the Conservative Movement.
The director will report to the chief of staff and president of Young America’s Foundation and work in close collaboration with team members at Young America’s Foundation’s national headquarters in Reston, Virginia.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience with Young America’s Foundation as a student as well as experience working on Capitol Hill and knowledge of Congressional office structures and procedures.
Other important qualifications include: team-player, ability to manage multiple projects, able to take direction and at the same time work independently. Applicant must have excellent oral, written, and organizational skills. Outstanding copyediting skills are a plus.
- Develop and implement programs to share YAF’s work and mission with conservative interns in Washington, D.C., with an emphasis on Capitol Hill
- Establish and build relationships with members of Congress and their staffs through meetings, briefings, and events at the Capitol Hill Townhouse
- Regularly communicate Foundation accomplishments with key Congressional allies
- Establish and build relationships with intern coordinators at D.C.-based conservative organizations, regularly recruiting interns for the Foundation’s seminars and conferences
- Recruit interns and local conservative college students to attend events at the Foundation’s Townhouse as well as at YAF’s national headquarters in Reston and our seminars and conferences nationwide
- Oversee the majority of events at the Capitol Hill Townhouse, including promotion, recruitment, set-up, catering, and all necessary tasks to ensure all events are on par with Foundation standards
- Oversee the physical maintenance of the Capitol Hill Townhouse, including scheduling and working with building-related vendors
- Coordinate events and programs at the Townhouse to benefit key Foundation programs and projects, including alumni outreach, the National Journalism Center, the Reagan Ranch, and YAF’s Center for Entrepreneurship & Free Enterprise
- Assist with other Foundation supporter and student events as needed
- Collaborate with members of the Foundation’s development team to secure additional funding for YAF’s Capitol Hill Townhouse and related activities
- Submit regular reports on D.C.-based activities to the Foundation’s President and other leadership as required
- Work independently at the Capitol Hill Townhouse and also, as necessary, at YAF’s Reston-based headquarters
- Committed to and enthusiastic about Young America’s Foundation’s mission and programs
- Prior involvement with Young America’s Foundation and/or Young Americans for Freedom, a plus
- Prior experience working on Capitol Hill, a plus
- Event-planning experience, a plus
- Excellent communication skills, with an emphasis on writing and copyediting
- Energetic and passionate about the Conservative Movement
- Self-motivated, organized, and flexible
- Ability to work independently
- Willingness to comply with YAF policies, procedures, and practices
- Ability to work as a collaborative, constructive team member
- Bachelor’s degree
- A car is recommended
This job description is representative of the expectations of the position described. Additional duties, reporting relationships, and/or position criteria may be assigned. YAF reserves the right to revise this job description at any time.
Salary will be based on experience and previous salary history.
E-mail cover letter, resume outlining the requirements, professional references, and salary history to*:
Jessica Jensen, Chief of Staff
Young America’s Foundation
11480 Commerce Park Drive
Reston, Virginia 20191
*Incomplete applications (i.e. those suggesting references upon request) will not be considered.