Program Officer for Public Relations
Young America’s Foundation has an immediate opening for a program officer with an emphasis on advancing the Foundation’s mission and programs across all media platforms including print, online, radio, and television.
The ideal program officer will help develop effective marketing strategies and promote Foundation programs, including our traditional conferences and campus events at our headquarters and the Reagan Ranch and the National Journalism Center, under the direction of Young America’s Foundation’s leadership.
The program officer will work daily with the president, Vice President, and program officer for digital media to prioritize various media opportunities. The candidate will also review and proactively respond to campus controversies involving Foundation students, activities, and events. The program officer will highlight the Foundation’s involvement in promoting conservative ideas to young people and showcase our leadership in this field. These stories should be used to enhance the Foundation’s brand and to increase student and supporter involvement.
The ideal team member will maintain and develop key relationships with local and national media outlets to maximize news coverage for Young America’s Foundation.
Young America’s Foundation is the principal outreach organization of the Conservative Movement, introducing thousands of young people to conservative ideas through our national conferences, campus lectures and activism programs, internships, and seminars at our national headquarters, the Reagan Ranch, and Reagan Ranch Center. Recent college graduates and alumni of our programs are encouraged to apply for this position.
- Implementing Foundation-wide press strategy to ensure maximum positive Foundation exposure.
- Writing news releases, talking points, and executing the Foundation’s news related efforts
- Growing and maintaining the Foundation’s press list by building relationships with media contacts in television, new media, print, and radio.
- Managing media inquiries by responding or recommending the appropriate team member for the interview.
- Building and managing the Foundation’s institutional update list and crafting updates for other leaders and organizations within the Movement.
- Researching and preparing surveys and reports for release to the media, writing media messages and op-eds, and coordinating media events.
- Utilizing stories to drive traffic to YAF.org and our blog, The New Guard, in addition to building the Foundation’s presence on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- Training and advising students on how to promote their Foundation-related events on their campuses and generate media interest in their club’s activities.
- Accurately documenting bias against conservative students and informing the media when appropriate, especially when related to Foundation sponsored events.
- Staying informed of current PR trends in the Conservative Movement and the greater business community.
- Working at/on and helping organize Foundation programs, ensuring visual representation of events is high quality for television and photography, and when applicable ensuring press is present and handled appropriately.
- Interacting with students, friends, and supporters of the Foundation at all Foundation-related programs and events.
The candidate will have a strong interest in promoting conservative ideas to young people. The ideal person will have had previous involvement in Young America’s Foundation programs and/or marketing experience with promoting an organization and events to the media. Other qualifications: team-player, ability to manage multiple projects, able to take direction but also work independently. Applicant must have excellent oral, written, and organizational skills. Outstanding copyediting skills are a plus. A car is strongly recommended. Send cover letter, resume, references, and salary history to Patrick Coyle at firstname.lastname@example.org, fax 703-318-9122, or mail to: Young America’s Foundation, 11480 Commerce Park Drive, Suite 600, Reston, VA 20191. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a field related to communications and marketing
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or similar programs
- Grasp of promotional and marketing strategies and concepts; eagerness to learn more if needed
- Knowledge of the WordPress blogging platform and experience managing an online publishing workflow
- Familiarity with media monitoring tools
- Well-versed with computers; knowledge of both Mac and PC environments a plus
- Past involvement with Foundation programs a plus
- Experience with video and/or audio production a plus