Curator of Collections at the Reagan Ranch Center
Position: Young America’s Foundation is seeking a Curator of Collections to lead the curatorial department in preserving and protecting the Reagan Ranch Presidential Home and find ways to further the educational impact of the Ranch and the Reagan Ranch Center. The ideal candidate will have excellent research, communication, exhibit design, and problem-solving skills and display enthusiasm for the history of the Reagan presidency and the preservation of this presidential site.
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Duties will include:
- Preparing exhibits for display at the Reagan Ranch Center, Young America’s Foundation’s state-of-the-art museum located in downtown Santa Barbara
- Managing historic collections by cataloguing both original artifacts from the Reagan family and acquisitions (including letters, memorabilia, artwork) on Pastperfect Museum collections database
- Sharing the education galleries and the presidential home site with students and key stakeholders in the Foundation
- Preserving artifacts from the Ranch and finding creative ways to maintain and protect original features on the property
- Completing research projects that further the mission of Young America’s Foundation education programs
- Conducting oral histories with Reagan associates and other contemporaries
- Overseeing the education gallery docent team
- Manage preservation of original historic artifacts from the collections located at both the Reagan Ranch and in the Reagan Ranch Center Archives. This includes monitoring environmental conditions with the purpose of preserving Reagan Ranch artifacts and their history for future generations to enjoy.
- Undertake research projects on topics such as the history of Reagan and his Ranch days, the American presidency, the conservative movement, and current topics for purpose of educational outreach through Gallery displays and special events.
- Oversee the Docent Volunteer program and host tours of the Reagan Ranch home site.
- Design and install rotating displays in the Reagan Ranch Center Education Galleries.
- Work at both the Reagan Ranch Center and on site at the Reagan Ranch on scheduled preservation projects and special events.
- Advance your formal education in historic home preservation through continuing education opportunities.
- Help fulfill the mission of Young America’s Foundation and the Reagan Ranch.
Qualifications: College degree in Museum Studies, American History Studies, and/or Education and knowledge of the field of historic preservation is required. Must be willing to research and work independently, as well as collaboratively. Must be flexible and willing to assist with special events throughout the year. Excellent communications skills are required.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.